[TYPO3-dev] I blame Git [was:Slow BE since 4.5.x]

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:14:07 CEST 2011

Hi!

Patrick Gaumond wrote:
> I would blame Git at the moment. And no, there's no smiley to my remark.
>
> Git may be more efficient from a CoreDev point of view but it also
> killed an essential part of CoreList spirit... Discussions and
> interactions. Even if in theory it was prohibited, the lack of "human
> factor" cut out the fun.
>
> Do I got to http://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git every day as I use to
> read CoreList? No. And I feel i'm not alone (François wrote something in
> that spirit if I recall).
>
> Let's be frank, Git is very effective but boring. It's mechanical, not
> organic. How are you going to bring new blood into Core with an
> efficient but cold system? I don't know either.
>
> I'm not saying we should get back to SVN! I'm just trying to figure out
> why energy felt.

I do not think it is right. Just Git could not kill activity, enthusiasm or
wish to make changes. I think we should look for other reasons.

Personally, I am interested in more "professional" development of TYPO3.
I.e. having a small core team (5-7 people max), which has TYPO3 development
as their main job. I understand that it is not possible financially but
that would speed up the development and improve the quality. Think of it
like something similar to Django.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member