[TYPO3-dev] I blame Git [was:Slow BE since 4.5.x]

Patrick Gaumond gaumondpatrick at hotmail-no-spam.com
Mon Apr 25 16:00:09 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-21 16:45, Steffen Kamper wrote:
> i complained a lot about too less action from the devs, and the action
> doesn't raise at the moment, i have the feeling it lowers more ...

I would blame Git at the moment. And no, there's no smiley to my remark.

Git may be more efficient from a CoreDev point of view but it also
killed an essential part of CoreList spirit... Discussions and
interactions. Even if in theory it was prohibited, the lack of "human
factor" cut out the fun.

Do I got to http://git.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core.git every day as I use to
read CoreList? No. And I feel i'm not alone (François wrote something in
that spirit if I recall).

Let's be frank, Git is very effective but boring. It's mechanical, not
organic. How are you going to bring new blood into Core with an
efficient but cold system? I don't know either.

I'm not saying we should get back to SVN! I'm just trying to figure out
why energy felt.

Patrick