[TYPO3-dev] Serving static content from a different domain

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer thasmo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:22:35 CEST 2011

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:

> The problem was years ago and I am not sure if it is actual. But still
> lots of people use MSIE7, so it has to be. I tried to make a dedicated
> host for static content for one project but found that MSIE did not do
> requests to the same IP regardless of host names. That was strange. As
> soon as a moved static content to another server (and set up NFS to that
> server to allow TYPO3 to upload there), it worked ok.

That's indeed weird. The only trustworthy source I found is a test from
Steve Sourders, claiming that IE 6 and 7 open 2 parallel downloads per
hostname/domain, not per server/IP.

http://stevesouders.com/hpws2/hostnames.php

If I do the test with the IE7 compatibility mode in IE8,
the page loads in about 3 seconds, opening 4 parallel connections.

Regards,
Thomas