[TYPO3-dev] Serving static content from a different domain

Thomas "Thasmo" Deinhamer thasmo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 21:41:02 CEST 2011

Olivier Dobberkau wrote:
> never the less there are different opinions on that subject. i believe
> that asset serving should balance the load among different machines.

Hoi!

There are two reasons I want to use separate domains
for serving static content. First, requesting static files
from a domain without having cookies sent in the headers,
should be a lot faster - also depends on the cookie sizes.
But if you use ads or tracking scripts you probably have
at least some of them.

The second is, if done properly, a good boost for the first
visit of a user on a website, because all resources, if there
are a lot, can be downloaded faster, so the website will be
displayed faster also. Continuous page hits don't bother about
static files served by separated domain names, as proper cache
headers should force the browser to not request them again.

I was wondering, as you posted that link to the nginx config,
how it would be possible to "disable" cookies server-side. Aren't
the cookies sent in the request headers anyway, if the cookies
are set client-side e.g. via JS?

Thanks,
Thomas