[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3-v4] Minutes from the 12th Skype meeting of the release 4.5 team

Ernesto Baschny ernesto at typo3.org
Thu Oct 7 15:33:58 CEST 2010

Hi fellow developers,

as you might know, the 4.5 release team meets weekly for a Skype
discussion round on the current activities. I have been writing minutes
about our discussions since the first one to keep the whole core team
informed. I now decided to make the minutes publicly available. This
first one is posted on the typo3.dev and the typo3.projects.v4 list. In
future I will only post to the v4 list.

So here is the first public report. If you find it interesting or have
some comment or question about a particular topic, don't hesitate to
follow-up on this thread.

Usually the team that meets is:

- Oliver Hader (Core Team Leader)
- Benjamin Mack (4.4 Release Manager)
- Steffen Kamper (4.5 Technical Leader)
- Ernesto Baschny (4.5 Release Manager)
- Ben van't Ende (Community Manager)

This last monday (October 4th) we hold our 12th meeting. After the T3CON
we weren't complete yet. Only Steffen and Ernesto. But then we managed
to get a replacement for the rest: Ingmar agreed to join the discussion.
Thanks Ingmar for your help! Later on, also Steffen's dog joined the
meeting.

T3CON
------

We are still pretty "exhausted" from the T3CON, but it was very fun and
productive. Ingmar wasn't able to attend the 4.5 release talk, so
Ernesto send him the link to the presentation [1]

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/baschny/typo3-45-lts-status-report-t3con10

Code Sprint Stuttgart
-------------------------

Ernesto gave an overview on the code sprint registrations and the Wiki
page [1]. Ingmar mentioned that the hotel Römerhof has 3 people
apartments. Ernesto expects around 15 registrations. Which is what we
seem to have according to Wiki.

[1] http://wiki.typo3.org/wiki/T3CodeSprintStuttgart2010

Module menu and registration
------------------------------

Steffen is working on the "3rd level module menu" so that sub modules
get displayed under the module menu entry (opening when clicking on a
top level module with accordeon). This was decided by the usability team
[2].

Steffen is researching how sub modules are currently handled. Extensions
register them through t3lib_extmgr::insertIntoModule. But when a main
module renders, it might also add some "hard coded" sub modules (e.g.
Web>Page has hardcoded "Columns", "QuickEdit" and "Language") and might
decide to leave out some based on some criteria, which might also be
page related (e.g. no "Language" if there is not translation, some sub
modules which do not appear in a Draft-Workspace).

After some discussions on how this can be achieved with the current way
modules are registered (insertIntoModule and the "open" TBE_MODULES
array, which also might been manipulated), Ernesto suggested that we
might have it easier and more consistent by creating a new API for
registering "real" sub modules and then transform the ones we already
have in core sysexts to that. And then keep the "old way" of rendering
TBE_MODULES as it is (with the only difference in the location where the
select box is rendered: moving down from the top toolbar to the module
content, as we will drop the second line after the toolbar, where they
are currently located).

Ingmar agreed with the idea. He also noticed that it might be not
everyones taste to have the sub modules in the module menu (accordion)
because the menu will jump around when switching modules. Steffen
mentioned that this was a HCI team decision. We might want to have an
option to have them rendered as TABS on top of the modules too.

[2] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/hci/wiki/T3Skin_Meeting-20100716

Extdeveval / Kickstarter
-------------------------

Some background info: We have been discussing the future of Extdeveval
and Kickstarter for quite some time in the previous core team meetings.
They are maintained by individuals but not really actively. Since both
are important tools for us core team (extdeveval for example is used to
generate the ext_autoload files and sprites for the icons), we are
moving into a direction of having the whole core team maintain them.

Idea is:

kickstarter:
- RFCs in the current existing project list,
- Issues kept in Mantis [3],
- whole core team has commit rights,
- minimum of one +1 from core team, and one +1 from "other"
- core team leader can release to TER.

extdeveval:
- a new list for extdeveval and having a RFC process
- Issues in Forge (tracker already existing) [4]
- core team has commit rights
- minimum of one +1 from core team, and one +1 from "other"
- core team leader can release to TER

This will still be discussed with the core team and we'll announce it
somewhere officially.

[3] http://bugs.typo3.org/search.php?project_id=17&hide_status_id=90
[4] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-extdeveval/issues

SVG Library
-------------

Steffen said he wants to add SVG support for all browsers in TYPO3 FE
rendering. He wants to use "svgweb" library to acomplish this [5]

One question was about the licensing. That JS library has a Apache
License 2.0. Is this compatible with TYPO3v4? Ingmar mentioned that we
have GPLv2 "and later", so it should work. Steffen wants to have it in
"contrib/" and then have possibilities to add it via Page Renderer, for
example via PHP and also via TypoScript.

Because it will be a "LTS release", we have to think about how we can
further maintain that contrib/ stuff in the next three years. Ernesto
suggested to use the possibility of extensions overwriting the path to
"contrib/" libraries, so that in future we can release (in TER) an
updated svglib version. In addition and in particular specific cases we
might consider backporting some fix from upstream in our shipped
released library.

[5] http://code.google.com/p/svgweb/

JavaScript CGL from Nils / Phoenix
-----------------------------------

Nils Dehl has created a JavaScript coding guidelines for Phoenix
project. During the T3CON, Steffen Kamper, Stefan Galinski and Nils
discussed to adopt that CGL also for v4, since there is none yet.

So we will adopt that [6]. Only difference is the "namespace" (not F3,
but TYPO3). Steffen will fix for example "TYPO3.components" >
"TYPO3.Components". We'll also will need to add jsdoc on all methods.
Steffen will go through them one by one. After that we can try to
generate an API documentation using ext-doc.

[6] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v5-core/wiki/DRAFT_JavaScript_CGL

Other stuff
--------------

Wednesday Steffen has a meeting with the "page tree" experts (Susanne
and Stefan Galinski).

He still needs review for the tslib_content patch so that we can
continue splitting up that class.

Ernesto noted that since we have ci.typo3.org, the lists and forge are
sometimes "unreacheable". He suspect that is related to hudson, but is
not sure.

That's all for monday. Next monday we'll meet again at 14h, and will
probably discuss the strategy of "getting things done" in the Code
Sprint in Stuttgart that will start on next Thursday.

More infos about the v4.5 project can be found here [7]

[7] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v45-projects

Cheers,
Ernesto