[TYPO3-dev] Clear configuration cache in multi-domain site

Loek Hilgersom loek at netcoop.nl
Sun Nov 28 01:16:26 CET 2010

Hi,

I discovered a strange issue which took me a long time to solve: I installed
some new extensions for use in domain B, using my admin login on domain A in the
same TYPO3 installation, but I got no front-end output whatsoever. Of course I
cleared configuration and FE caches. By adding some debug statements I found
that the plugin code wasn't even executed.

It concerns a TYPO3 installation with about ten domains in it. Most of those
domains are also used by BE-users (no admins). Apparently, TYPO3 creates
separate configuration cache files for each domain which is also used by
BE-users. Only after finding this post [1] from 2005(!) I found what was wrong:
clearing the configuration cache from the BE apparently only clears it for the
domain from which you're logged in! Since I was viewing the FE on a different
domain, I kept on viewing an old state from another configuration cache file!

The problem was only solved until I deleted all temp_CACHED files in typo3conf.

Now I'm really wondering why:
1. TYPO3 keeps different versions of the configuration cache - if any code or
configuration changes on this level, it will almost always concern the entire
installation, not just 1 site.
2. Is there a reason why the 'Clear configuration cache' only clears the
configuration cache for the domain on which you logged in? This will obviously
lead to inconsistent states and serious errors (e.g. after removing an
extension, as long as the configuration cache for the other domains is not
cleared, TYPO3 will keep looking for those files and generate serious errors in
both FE and BE - I ran into a few of those situations while trying to tackle
this issue).

Should this issue be fixed, or am I missing some configuration options that
affect this behaviour, or could there good reasons for this that I just can't
think of right now?

Cheers,
Loek

[1] http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-dev/2005-February/008297.html