[TYPO3-dev] clarification about calling t3lib_cs methods

Loek Hilgersom hilgersom at xs4all.nl
Thu May 6 23:14:59 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm working on a cli_backend module and tried to call
	$filename = t3lib_cs::specCharsToASCII('utf-8',$filename);
My script just stopped, without any error (at least I didn't manage to switch on
any error reporting for cli, nor could I find anything in a logfile, but that
maybe a matter of server configuration)

I tested with some other methods, and this one e.g. did work:
	$test = t3lib_cs::strlen('utf-8', $filename);

I could only get the first one to work if I first creat a new instance of class
t3lib_cs:

	$class = t3lib_div::makeInstanceClassName('t3lib_cs');
	$t3libcs = new $class();
	$filename = $t3libcs->specCharsToASCII($this->targetcharset, $filename);

Could anyone explain where this different behavior comes from?
Just trying to get a better understanding of what's going on.

Thanks,
Loek