[TYPO3-dev] Using TS-conf instead of a standard lang for conf?

David Bruchmann typo3-dev at bruchmann-web.de
Sat Mar 6 16:00:53 CET 2010

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von:        Tomas Norre Mikkelsen <tomasnorre at gmail.com>
Gesendet:   Samstag, 6. März 2010 08:35:03
An:         List for Core-/Extension development
<typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de>
CC:
Betreff:    [TYPO3-dev] Using TS-conf instead of a standard lang for conf?
> Hi,
>
> I have talked to many different people during the days, and we
> discussed TYPO3 many times. One of the discussions and why the choose
> not to use T3.
>
> Many said: "If i have to learn a new system, it should be based on
> standards i don't want to have to learn a language like TS too, if it
> was like xml / xslt or some other webstandard it was a diffent story"
>
> What is you comment on this and have this been diskussed in the
> dev-team before ? Could "we" make T3 stronger with a standard
> configuration language ?
>
> I think so :) But i'm not that much into core development, so i know
> if its possible or not.

A Basic Installation can be done nearly without TypoScript or with a
ready Set of TypoScript.
A fault in your and your Friends suggestion is that TypoScript is seen
as something negative.
Sure for some special Keys I searched a long time and it's a bit hard to
understand for beginners. But with TypoScript you're able to do things
that need no changes in PHP neither in Core-Files nor in Extensions.
This is a big chance and a positiv aspect.

But it's not only TypoScript where you can change behavior and
properties: Page-TS, TCA in typo3conf/extTables.php or in extensions,
User-TS, Group-TS and so on ...
Structure and Values of any configuration can be changed on many levels
without changing existing files apart from typical configuration files.

Well, namespace and special variables have to be known - but that's the
case in every system I suppose.

As Contrast you can imagine a system without something like TypoScript:
you cant't change configuration and page-setup so easy (and fast) and
aren't able to change the whole behavior of core or extensions with a
small set of definitions by TypoScript.
Where is the effort here? You have to define Templates by PHP mostley
with repeating inquiries, loops and functions that aren't implemented on
a higher level and the danger to implement unwanted security-holes is
much higher as in TYPO3.
Imagine that everything that can't be defined by a flexible structure
like TypoScript has to be coded either by a mass of formulars with
corresponding tables or files for storing or by hardcoded and
unchangeable properties.

Sure, some extensions have a strange kind to implement
TypoScript-Options - names and structure perhaps don't follow the kind
how TypoScript is defined on higher level. Nevertheless you are often
able to include (those) extensions without content-elements on an
administrative level and include functionality and templating without
writing or changing a single line PHP.

I'd like to know a system where properties can be changed or defined in
so much variations without a TypoScript-ressembling structure and
without PHP. Can you give an example ... ?

David