[TYPO3-dev] New Look BE

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Jun 24 12:37:35 CEST 2010

Franz Koch schrieb am 24.06.2010 10:31:
> Hey there,
>
>> I think for me the upgrade tool could do with some work, what I have
>> come to expect from and upgrade tool is to say you are on version X
>> we're going to take you to version X and for it all to be one process
>> rather than the step approach we have now which is not so seamless.

> If I got you right, this would be a good idea. Make the visibility of
> the upgrade steps dependet from which version the upgrade is done.

The proposal from Graham is to have everything done in "just one step"
or at least a "flow of steps". Currently you have to go back and forth
between the upgrade wizard and each particular step, which is annoying.

> If I
> upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 I'm already passed the extraction of the system
> extensions, so these don't have to show up anymore and distract people.
> So only relevant changes between the currently installed and the version
> to be upgraded to should be shown. Shouldn't be a problem as we have the
> compatibility version in localconf we could use for that, right?

The compatVersion is only used for frontend rendering changes! It
shouldn't be used for other purposes.

It is up to each upgrade-wizard-provider to decide if it is relevant to
be shown or not. It might be that you skipped a step in a previous
upgrade so it will show up again.

Some wizards make queries to the database or check if certain steps have
been done already (e.g. if there is no "doktype=2", the "Merges the
"Advanced" pagetype (doktype 2) to "Standard" (doktype 1)" isn't shown
anymore).

The "install sysexts" wizard will check if *all* of the extensions are
installed and if not, will prompt for them again: which is the usability
problem here.

A wizard should have an easy way to mark itself as "done" so that it
doesn't pop up again in the future. I think that would be the first
feature required for a better "upgrade flow".

Cheers,
Ernesto