[TYPO3-dev] SQL parameter binding

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 14 12:52:04 CEST 2010

Peter Lind wrote:
> On 14 June 2010 11:18, Dmitry Dulepov <dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jigal van Hemert wrote:
>>> That's what you keep saying. I can't find any (recent) benchmark results
>>> on the web for this, but knowing your precise nature you must have some
>>> results lying around. Can you please share them?
>> Just now I did a very quick Google search (pdo mysql native speed) and
>> found some numbers:
>> http://dealnews.com/developers/php-mysql.html
>> http://blogs.vinuthomas.com/2006/08/07/benchmark-mysql-mysqli-pdo-in-php/

The numbers (queries/sec) are *exactly* the same, so I regard this as
one source.

> It's not that I want to get mixed up in a discussion about benchmarks
> as those are typically not very fruitful. Just two points:

I wanted to make a benchmark with real TYPO3 functionality. A db
intensive page in the backend could provide a good cast to measure speed.

> 1. The first blog post you quote has a banner at the top that states:
> I have since run these tests and found PDO to be just as fast as the
> mysql and mysqli extension. I am not sure what changed. But, change it
> did.

Which makes the numbers in that article worthless in 2010. (In May 2006
(just prior to those articles) PHP 5.1.3 was released, in April TYPO3
4.0 was released; needless to say that a lot has changed since)

> The two others are from 2006.

That's why I was looking for recent benchmarks.

I'll try to do some tests with real life situations and PDO. I think it
will work fine when it comes to speed.

I'd like to hear Xavier's opinion on the DBAL part as I think that can
be simplified a bit when PDO is used instead of AdoDB.

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert
msn: jigal at xs4all.nl