[TYPO3-dev] Backend User on a different PID

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Fri Jun 11 08:25:41 CEST 2010

Hi Fabien,

> I would like to know if there are any good reasons to have BE User only
> available on pid = 0?
>
> Philosophical reasons?
>
> Technical reasons?
>
> In the case of many BE users, it would be convenient to be able to
> dispatch them on different sysfolder?

I agree with Dmitry. I'd say that if you really have too many BE users
that it gets a bit complicated to manage (the same happens with FE users
even if those may be stored in different sysfolders), I'd consider using
a dedicated extension to manage them more smoothly or propose patch to
enhance the existing user management module. For instance the way
phpmyadmin does for permissions. That is, as long as they are "few"
users, they are all shown in the list, after a given numbers they are
"categorized" by username's first letter.

Furthermore, you may have seen an extension I published quite recently
(mr_usrgrpmgmt) to manage users associated to a group and not the other
way around. We found out that they are limitation too - that I'll have
to tackle with - with the concept of those two lists to select records
from a set (the TYPO3 'select' TCA field with two lists). As the number
of records grows, for instance with >1000 FE users, the management
becomes quite unusable as this list eats up resources and is not
efficient anymore. Yet another way to enhance TYPO3 ;-)

See you @ T3DD10

Xavier