[TYPO3-dev] Suggestions for triggering BE sprite generation

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov+t3ml at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 17:28:35 CET 2010

Hi!

On 2010-01-29 16:11:35 +0200, Steffen Gebert said:
> > On 2010-01-29 15:16:51 +0200, Steffen Gebert said:
>>> Problem is that they have to be generated once!
>>
>> You did not understand the question :) Let me ask it differently. *Why*
>> > do they have to be generated? :) The other topic does not say why, it
>> > merely lists how it will be done.
>>
>> I read all available threads on this topic but I could not the answer
>> to > this "why". It seems like nobody thought of it yet.
>
> They have to be generated at least *once*, even if it's during
> developement of an extension or adding new icon to the core.
> Possibilities are:
> * let developer do it manually in his favourite image editing software
> (+ let him create the CSS)

No, no! :) Developers do not generate icons :) We have Jens Hoffman,
who is supposed to provide icons. He is a good designer and he knows
how to work with layers in Photoshop. It is his job officially to make
TYPO3 UIs.

Forget "develop+icon" combination! :)

> * provide *any* tool, to do this automatically, like [1]: Give it all
> images and get the sprite + CSS back. This tool maybe could be in
> extdeveval or a backend module or whatever.

Extdeveval at client machines? :) No go. Extdeveval is for developers.

You know why Apple wins for years even now when all others lose?
Because its products are simple to use. Make it simple for TYPO3 users
too! It should be as simple as installing a new extension and
immediately, without delays magic with new icons happen. This is how it
should work!

TYPO3 should go for better user experience, less button pressing and
lighter UI. Simplification is popular these days. Simple approaches win
because they are more stable and faster.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 core team member / TYPO3 security team member