[TYPO3-dev] Suggestions for triggering BE sprite generation

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Fri Jan 29 16:06:59 CET 2010

Am 29.01.2010, 15:44 Uhr, schrieb Xavier Perseguers <typo3 at perseguers.ch>:

> As such, I would suggest to start with a static sprite included with
> every skin and if we find out this would be possible to highly enhance
> the process with a sprite generator, then we may consider implementing
> this feature.

That's the way, we should go, I think. This would not result in one single
sprite file, but I'm (very) OK with that (@my team members: remember that
we previously had one for each icons/ subfolder!).

Remaining question: What's with "normal" extensions? Should they be able
to use sprites? Is there a need for it, or can we e.g. load the 30 icons
at the "new element wizard" with 30 requests?

So:
* Core has one sprite (quite small as it only contains a few essential
icons)
* t3skin contains a huge sprite
* extensions *may* come with a sprite file and we should assist authors to
generate the sprites (if we say that extension sprites are already
supported in 4.4)

Steffen