[TYPO3-dev] New icons to the core or to t3skin?

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Thu Jan 28 20:38:55 CET 2010

On 28.01.2010 16:35, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> [...]
> It is cheap to use static files. It costs user's attention and feeling
> to generate such files.

A skin should only hold the icons itself not the sprites generated by
it. However the sprite should only be generated ONCE. You generate them
when you install a skin.

== my current setup ==
# source images in t3skin (222 icons)
typo3/sysext/t3skin/images/icons/actions/document-close.png
typo3/sysext/t3skin/images/icons/actions/document-open.png

# if you install the skin you get generate files
* 25 sprites
typo3temp/skin/images/sprites/t3-icon-actions-document.png
typo3temp/skin/images/sprites/t3-icon-actions-move.png
* 25 css files
typo3temp/skin/stylesheets/sprites/t3-icon-actions-document.css
typo3temp/skin/stylesheets/sprites/t3-icon-actions-move.css

These file are now static; so it should be fast enough right?

now what do we get with this setup?
we can override icons in another skin with just placing a single icon in
it; no sprites whatsoever

# another skin; mySkin (needs to in installed after t3skin)
# source images in mySkin (1 icon)
typo3conf/ext/mySkin/images/icons/actions/document-close.png

now as we install another skin the sprites will be regenerated and the
new sprites will just replace the current one in the typo3temp folder
and only ONE icon is different [1]. So for people who want to skin it's
far easier to replace icons and they don't need to care about what
happens if the original skin replaces some icons as the icons are not
duplicated (this is how it happens now...).

If we use something like this there is no need at all to have icons in
the typo3 folder. They should be placed in the default skin (t3skin).

This is just how I expected it to work, so far I'm using static sprite
files in my testing installation.

[1]: the generator goes through all skins (in the installation order)
and add it's icons; existing icons will be replaced; new icons will be
added; then the sprites will be generated [maybe getting icons from
different skins]