[TYPO3-dev] New icons to the core or to t3skin?

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Thu Jan 28 14:04:27 CET 2010

Am 28.01.2010, 11:12 Uhr, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov
<dmitry.dulepov+t3ml at gmail.com>:

> t3skin is a default sysext. What happens technically if it is
> uninstalled? Would it be possible to uninstall t3skin and still be able
> to use the Backend to install another skin? Would be Backend usable in
> the short moment when no skin is installed? If yes, I see no problem: we
> provide a default skin, which is installed by default. If somebody
> deinstall it, (s)he does it on purpose and knows what he does, right?

That's exactly our plan.
EM will be usable. Backend will have lots of the "meeep - this icon is
missing" symbols.
But as the structure styles belong to the core, it will be usable.

> One thing I would emphasize that we I would like all images to be
> static. I dislike the idea to generate images. We already have TS
> parsing at FE and it takes nearly 90% of page generation time, which is
> unacceptably much. I prefer if we generate as little as possible and use
> as much ready content as possible. Skin images look like a static
> content to me. Static content should be static, not generated.

I see your reservations.. I am one of the advocators of "TYPO3 is
enterprise and it must be able to do everything itself".
Maybe I should rethink. It's still undecided, when sprites will be
generated, as it's not coded, yet.
Will think about it, on what factors the sprite generation depends and in
doubt discuss it in another thread.

Steffen