[TYPO3-dev] New icons to the core or to t3skin?

Loek Hilgersom hilgersom at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 28 13:03:24 CET 2010

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Gebert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we (T3UXW09 group 3) will soon provide a new icon set as an RFC, which
> follows the (pending) new Backend styling guide.
> For icons, this means having a consistent naming scheme.
>
> The remaining question is: Where should the icons be placed? Core
> (typo3/images/icons) or t3skin?

I think the choice depends on a broader question:
Do you start with no skin at all (just a plain text interface), or will there be
a default skin which other skins can override? (by replacing all icons and
stylesheets with their own)

In the first case, it makes sense to put the icons in core. If you choose the
second option, the icons in the core is slightly unlogical.

Having a default set of icons in the core will make sure that extensions using
these icons directly (without using the API) will still show something when
t3skin is not installed. But I think this is only a small problem, since not
many people will actually remove t3skin completely even if another skin is
installed.

> Background info: The BE stylesheet reorganization will remove all the
> legacy colors etc. (aka "visuals") from the core and move them to
> t3skin. This is mostly old stuff from the 3.x skin!
>
> Problem is, how usable BE should be, without any installed skin: Should
> all icons be in place or should only icons for "extension (NOT)
> installed" be shipped, to be able to install any skin. For sure, nobody
> will work without any installed skin.

I'm not sure if I'm starting a long debate now, but I think it makes sense to
have t3skin as a default (when no skin is installed). The goal of the skinning
project is to make everything skinnable, so you should be able to replace or
override all icons and stylesheets. Being able to actually remove all icons and
stylesheets from the backend doesn't serve any practical purpose IMO. If you
actually want to do that, you install the famous 'naked skin' which overrides
the default stylesheets with empty ones.

But as a bottom line: icons are not necessary IMO (text links will do), as long
as you are able to install another skin decently after you uninstalled t3skin.

> Like to hear you opinion of this. I'd say: Deadline in 2 days :)

I'm really looking forward to the results!

Loek