[TYPO3-dev] New icons to the core or to t3skin?

Steffen Gebert steffen at steffen-gebert.de
Thu Jan 28 13:47:05 CET 2010

Am 28.01.2010, 13:03 Uhr, schrieb Loek Hilgersom <hilgersom at xs4all.nl>:

> Having a default set of icons in the core will make sure that extensions
> using these icons directly (without using the API) will still show
> something when t3skin is not installed. But I think this is only a small
> problem, since not many people will actually remove t3skin completely
> even if another skin is installed.

Even if you have t3skin not installed, you could use its icons.
One principles of the new icon scheme is to have a context related naming.
So the same icon might exist multiple times, always with different file
names.
Therefore extensions shouldn't rely on the core/t3skin icons, but in doubt
copy them and ship them with the extension.

> I'm not sure if I'm starting a long debate now, but I think it makes
> sense to have t3skin as a default (when no skin is installed).
IMHO there is no debate. This will still be the case!

> The goal of the skinning project is to make everything skinnable, so you
> should be able to replace or override all icons and stylesheets. Being
> able to actually remove all icons and stylesheets from the backend
> doesn't serve any practical purpose IMO. If you actually want to do
> that, you install the famous 'naked skin' which overrides the default
> stylesheets with empty ones.

For sure, you can build upon t3skin. And I think most skins will of course
do this.
Aim is to a) get rid of all the old styles from 3.x b) improve flexibility
for skins

> But as a bottom line: icons are not necessary IMO (text links will do),
> as long as you are able to install another skin decently after you
> uninstalled t3skin.

You will :)

Steffen