[TYPO3-dev] New icons to the core or to t3skin?

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov+t3ml at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 11:12:55 CET 2010

Hi!

On 2010-01-28 11:50:14 +0200, Steffen Gebert said:
> we (T3UXW09 group 3) will soon provide a new icon set as an RFC, which
> follows the (pending) new Backend styling guide.
> For icons, this means having a consistent naming scheme.

Both sound great!

> The remaining question is: Where should the icons be placed? Core
> (typo3/images/icons) or t3skin?
>
> Background info: The BE stylesheet reorganization will remove all the
> legacy colors etc. (aka "visuals") from the core and move them to
> t3skin. This is mostly old stuff from the 3.x skin!

I know that some people do not like t3skin and still use old skin.
Personally I never could understand this because I think old skin is
very outdated and look ugly these days.

Just keep in mind that you can have an opposition to forcing t3skin
from some people (incl. core people).

> Problem is, how usable BE should be, without any installed skin: Should
> all icons be in place or should only icons for "extension (NOT)
> installed" be shipped, to be able to install any skin. For sure, nobody
> will work without any installed skin.

So, some still do :)

t3skin is a default sysext. What happens technically if it is
uninstalled? Would it be possible to uninstall t3skin and still be able
to use the Backend to install another skin? Would be Backend usable in
the short moment when no skin is installed? If yes, I see no problem:
we provide a default skin, which is installed by default. If somebody
deinstall it, (s)he does it on purpose and knows what he does, right?

One thing I would emphasize that we I would like all images to be
static. I dislike the idea to generate images. We already have TS
parsing at FE and it takes nearly 90% of page generation time, which is
unacceptably much. I prefer if we generate as little as possible and
use as much ready content as possible. Skin images look like a static
content to me. Static content should be static, not generated.

> Like to hear you opinion of this. I'd say: Deadline in 2 days :)

You have mine :)

Thanks to you and the rest of the team for doing this great skinning work! :)

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 core team member / TYPO3 security team member