[TYPO3-dev] New relational concept for personal data

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Jan 25 12:03:40 CET 2010

>> If we have the chance to introduce proper normalization to the TYPO3
>> database, this would simplify the use of real objects and increase
>> the overall performance as well.
>
> Magento project thought the same. In the end they reverted from
> normalization to using a single table for many critical records.
>
> Normalization or joining tables never improves performance. It is
> logically good thing to do but performance is always worse.

This might be true for pure normalization, but not if we create real objects
together with an object cache.
Imagine an object of one single person containing all the necessary related
information like locations, dates and other stuff.
Or maybe an object of a location containing all related persons who are
working/living at the adress of this location.

IMHO this could be step to get closer to the concepts of FLOW3/V5 and with
proper caching it will be much faster than the current approach - not to
mention the fact that you don't have to edit lots of redundant data in
different records manually when some data has to be changed.

Other comments?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de