[TYPO3-dev] New relational concept for personal data

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Jan 25 11:29:14 CET 2010

>> But now, we have name, address, zipcode, city, country, phone, fax,
>> email and photo, company and (job) title for a FE user.
>> There is just a lack of proper name fields.
>> So let's add first_name, middle_name and last_name to fe_user. I
>> think it's useful for many people.
>> In the future, we could imagine to move the personal data in a
>> tt_adress record (and move also first_name (fe_user) to first_name
>> (tt_address)).
>
> But please split it up then... addresses must not be related to a
> person ... I never understood why my organization must have a sex in
> the address record :(
>
> So as already suggested, please split it up into several tables, e.g.
> persons, addresses, ...
> Task for 4.5?
>
> There is more one could discuss, but we better switch to the dev list
> :)

The important thing we have to take care of, is a semantically correct
separation of tables for persons, locations, dates and content.
These four tables and a sophisticated system of relations between them would
be enough for most of the shops, blogs, news, calendars and forums.

An adress will never contain any name or salutation, since this will belong
to the person.
An event will never contain the adress or names of the organizers but just a
related date and a related content.
A blog entry will have content and a relation to the person who created it.
An fe_user will be connected to a person, so the fe_user table just needs
loginname, password, group, displayname and maybe some information about the
login behaviour and status. The rest will belong to the person related to
this fe_user

If we have the chance to introduce proper normalization to the TYPO3
database, this would simplify the use of real objects and increase the
overall performance as well.

Any other ideas?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian