[TYPO3-dev] Using SVN for the Forge

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Thu Jan 21 22:43:00 CET 2010

Hi Thomas,

Already some answers to your post, here's mine.

> I'm new to SVN and collaborative/social coding,
> and I'd like to share my extensions and ideas on the forge.

As said by Peter, you should definitively have a look at SVN documentation:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Have a look at all basic use of subversion (at least to start with) such as adding files, removing files, moving files around, renaming them, reverting changes, ...

> My development happens on an ubuntu server machine.
>
> What would be the best environment to establish a working
> collaboration to the Forge (http://forge.typo3.org/), ensuring
> to develop extensions, which will be supported by the actual
> major versions of TYPO3, continous?
> [...]
> Is it enough to set up a single TYPO3 installation on my server,
> creating a "SVN client repository" of this installation?

Yes.

> How should I set up SVN for this? Is it maybe possible to
> create a symlink, which would hold the extensions or/and the
> SVN repository client?

Prepare your website as usual, then go to typo3conf/ext/ and perform checkout there with all extensions you want to use. E.g.,

$ svn co https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Extensions/dbal/trunk dbal

to get the latest copy of DBAL. Then develop as usual and commit your changes to the repository once in a while. That's it!

Have fun!

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en