[TYPO3-dev] An open letter to the big boss..

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Jan 19 12:24:35 CET 2010

Sebastian Gebhard schrieb:

> I know your time is valuable and I truly don't want to waste it but
> today I come to you with an all-important request.
>
> A few Weeks ago I enthusiastically started to contribute to the Extbase
> Kickstarter. I really think this is an important project, to give more
> extension developers a hand to easily switch and have more modern
> extensions in the future, which is again *very* important for the future
> of TYPO3.
> When I realised developing such a kickstarter is not such a big deal as
> it seemed at first I was really motivated to push this forward and bring
> in my ideas.
>
> A few days I sat there and developed patches and surely brought Code
> Generation a few steps forward. I had inspiring discussions with
> Sebastian Kurfürst, Rens Admiraal and got positive Feedback from Ingmar
> Schlecht.
> Then I had to spend more time again on my daily business, had to read
> interesting articles, develop a little core patch, tried out this new
> API I found recently and so on.
>
> What happened? I lost my motivation to work on the Extbase Kickstarter,
> though I still think it would be very important and I'd really like to
> be a part of the project! Why? For motivation you (or maybe only me?)
> need a constant level of inspiration. Inspiration again can comes from
> different sources, but for me personally communication is a key source
> for inspiration!
>
> This leads me to my point: Communication. Until now I used Skype and
> E-Mail to communicate with other members of this project, which was
> unsatisfying because you can't really group-communicate or more than 2
> people will never find together in Skype at the same time. 2 or 3 times
> a mailing list was metioned but until now it has not become reality.
>
> So god, if you're out there and If you want to help a lot and a lot a
> lot and a lot a lot a lot a lot of people, please generously present the
> TYPO3 community with a mailing list for the Extbase Kickstarter so that
> inspiration can originate from it and this project can become reality.

There is already a typo3.projects.kickstarter newsgroup. Since I don't
expect too much developing around the "old kickstarter", why not just
use this already present resource for the extbase based kickstarter?

About your other points, I also think that communication inspires a lot,
especially since most people works "alone" and don't really know if what
they are doing is good or bad. Feedback helps keeping you on track.

Cheers,
Ernesto