[TYPO3-dev] to eID or not to eID?

Lina Wolf liste at linawolf.de
Tue Aug 10 01:36:03 CEST 2010

As far as I understand the eID was developed to create quicker response, for
example in surrounding of Ajax. The advantage of the eID would be that a lot
of things that are usually initialised don't need to be in case of using
eID.

But if I do need the full program in my Ajax response: typolinks, therefore
a cObject, Typoscript, therefore the whole TypoScript building process,
localised strings, therfore...

Is there still a real advantage in using eID then? Is there any advantage in
using the alternative (witch would be page types?)

Would you suggest to use eID in pingback responses, XML-RPC and other
not-Ajax maschine to maschine communication? Should XML's like RSS-Feeds or
FOAF-XML be page types or eID?