[TYPO3-dev] FLOW3 / TYPO3 5.0

Irene Höppner irene.hoeppner at abezet.de
Wed Apr 28 19:45:17 CEST 2010

Am 28.04.2010, 08:54 Uhr, schrieb Dmitry Dulepov
<dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com>:

> Hi!
>
> Jochen Rau wrote:
>> The v5 team started with small pieces of the puzzle and continuously
>> refactor the code towards a better design while adding (well tested) new
>> functionality ([1,2] for the interested).
>
> ...which prevents its usage in real life projects because nobody can rely
> on unstable code :(

You really should read about that! It's amazing. Unit tests cover the
public API. So that part of the code doesn't change. And thats the part,
package developers are interested in.
As Robert stated out they did a lot of refactoring already without
touching the public API.
If the API changes in FLOW3 it is mainly, because they want to make it
more usable for developers. One of the reasons why it's still alpha is
that usability-tests are missing: developers using FLOW3 and giving
feedback.

>> Is fact that some of the v4 core parts (namely tcemain and tceforms) are
>> not rewritten again and again a sign of good software design? I don't
>> think so. It is just real world without the possibility to change.
>
> TCEforms are being rewritten actually ;) There are plans to refactor
> TCEmain as well.

OMG.... Good to know.... Having some projects using TCEmain-hooks and some
nice TSconfig-configurations the update then will be... well...
interesting... :-)

> The fact that they are not touched shows one good thing: they work and
> there are no major bugs in them. So we can rely on that code in real life
> applications. That is a major advantage.

We won't after the refactoring, if it's really a refactoring in the
direction to a more understandable, flexible, maintainable, ... code.