[TYPO3-dev] FLOW3 / TYPO3 5.0

Zachary Davis, Cast Iron Coding LLC zach at castironcoding.com
Wed Apr 28 05:03:08 CEST 2010

I for one appreciate the work that Karsten and Robert and other
FLOW3/T35 contributers have done to date. Hindsight is 20/20, Dmitry,
and it's not right to blame "R&K&S" for making mistakes in the process
of trying to find a new way forward for the TYPO3 project.

TYPO3 is a visionary product -- it does a lot of things really well, and
Kasper filled it with a number of innovative, creative ideas. However,
the problems with the codebase are countless and I think it's correct to
say that the core is probably not fixable. I was around when FLOW3
started, and I remember what the code looked like -- and still looks
like -- in the most popular TYPO3 extensions at that time. I'm as guilty
as anyone -- my (at the time popular extension), chc_forum, was a
procedural nightmare that quickly became difficult to maintain and develop.

At the time, I remember thinking that rejecting what had long stood as
accepted development practices in the TYPO3 community (extensions with
all code encapsulated in a single, 100k pi1 script, for example) was a
positive move in a new direction, despite the risks that always come
with a new direction. I've watched FLOW3 closely since the third or
fourth alpha, and it's been an inspiring project, not just for me, but
also for everyone else on my team. We all look forward eagerly to the
day when we can stop making excuses for TYPO3's obvious shortcomings and
start embracing a platform that we can be proud of, one that my whole
team of developers is eager to get started with.

best,
Zach