[TYPO3-dev] FLOW3 / TYPO3 5.0

Jochen Rau jochen.rau at typoplanet.de
Tue Apr 27 21:02:35 CEST 2010

Hi Dmitry.

On 27.04.10 18:23, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Irene Höppner wrote:
>> Well, in an earlier post you said that you didn't have time to deal with
>> FLOW3 till now. So, how can you know this? What exactly do you mean with
>> "academic"?
>
> If framework's internal code is rewritten again and again, it means one of
> two cases:
> - it is an exercise for developers
> - it is a bad design from the beginning
>
> I assume the first, which means =>  academic. Academic does not mean bad. It
> just means that it is not real world yet.

I assume the both. In fact TYPO3 v5 is a huge exercise for developers.
An exercise I would not be able to take today. And it *must* start with
bad design (in terms of software architecture). It is a widely accepted
fact that is is impossible to make a perfect design and then just
implement it (the so called waterfall methodology).

But for v5 I would add

- the developers follow proven best-practice of software development

The v5 team started with small pieces of the puzzle and continuously
refactor the code towards a better design while adding (well tested) new
functionality ([1,2] for the interested).

Is fact that some of the v4 core parts (namely tcemain and tceforms) are
not rewritten again and again a sign of good software design? I don't
think so. It is just real world without the possibility to change.

Regards
Jochen

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_refactoring
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development