[TYPO3-dev] FLOW3 / TYPO3 5.0

Jochen Rau jochen.rau at typoplanet.de
Tue Apr 27 17:22:22 CEST 2010

Hi all.

On 27.04.10 14:42, Irene Höppner wrote:
>> It is all about being academic vs writing real life software.
>>
> Well, in an earlier post you said that you didn't have time to deal with
> FLOW3 till now. So, how can you know this? What exactly do you mean with
> "academic"?

Thanks for pointing to this question. Labeling things to be "academic"
is often used to serve prejudice without having a deeper insight of the
topics. It's really funny to read about Domain-Driven Design to be
"academic" or is coming from the "ivory tower" (which is just another
label). Let's assume that people using the word "academic" mean "far
from the real world problems" then DDD is quite the opposite of "academic":

--snip--
Domain-Driven Design is not a technology or a methodology. It is a way
of thinking and a set of priorities, aimed at accelerating software
projects that have to deal with complicated domains.
[...]
Yet the most significant complexity of many applications is not
technical. It is in the domain itself, the activity or business of the
user. When this domain complexity is not dealt with in the design, it
won’t matter that the infrastructural technology is well-conceived. A
successful design must systematically deal with this central aspect of
the software.
--snap-- ([1] for the interested)

We surely can discuss about, if a new technology does not suit our needs
do develop for TYPO3. But please, if you *judge* a particular technology
to be "academic", "buzz", "ivory", or whatever, do it with a certain
extend of insight. That might sound harsher than it was meant to be.

> And, as far as I know, they didn't check out the book you have to read
> as a student, but other frameworks and book of real life software
> developers.
> I've been on an academic event in Germany in 2007. It was about software
> engineering. Agile development wasn't just a foreign word for the ppl
> there, but something they didn't want to know anything about. They
> wanted big papers and plans....

Regards
Jochen

Ehrm, and sorry I have studied. ;-)