[TYPO3-dev] MENUDATA caching problems

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Apr 27 08:57:53 CEST 2010

Steffen Kamper schrieb am 15.04.2010 12:44:
> Hi,
>
> Steffen Gebert schrieb:
>> Am 14.04.2010, 12:24 Uhr, schrieb Steffen Kamper <info at sk-typo3.de>:
>>
>>> i did some research but a while ago, so i don't know if my
>>> remembering is all correct.
>>
>> Thanks for your research to both of you!
>> So I think I don't have to have a look for the moment (as promised in
>> on BT entry).
>>
>> Do you think we could just disable the whole menu caching? Do you have
>> an assumption, how much the calculation costs?
>>

> you find the cache around line 900 in tslib_menu
>
> I never made measurement here, but if the page is cached there is no new
> calculation. Make some tests and report ;)
>
>> Of course, I agree with Steffen that we should cache the whole menu
>> structure without specific states, as I think caching of big menus
>> isn't a bad idea.
>>

> there are several caches involved. Now typolinks are cached too, before
> menu did own linking process. So maybe the whole cache isn't that worthy :)

In my tests some years ago it was really the typolink processing that
took the most time to calculate (when dealing with huge amount of
links). So if this is cached now (I didn't even knew it!), a huge gain
is already there.

Maybe dropping that complex menu caching is the next step? Replacing it
with something more lightweight. I could imagine not caching page trees,
but adding some fast way to access our tree. For example using nested
sets, as already have been tried [1].

Cheers,
Ernesto

[1] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/nestedsets_pages/current/