[TYPO3-dev] EXT: categorization - proof of concept

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Oct 26 17:39:17 CET 2009

> Thanks for your feedback. I did see tagpack and tested it before I
> started, but it didn't seem to work properly. I will try the latest
> version and see how it is now.

Since the manual is one of the things to be finished before reaching the
stable status, some things might be easier with live support. So feel free
to contact me via PM.

> Actually you can add categories ofcourse. By adding DAM categories.
> But indeed there is no way to add them inline. A plus is that this
> categorization offers tree/parent relations. I didn't see this in
> tagpack. Are there plans for that?

Partly it's already in there, since you can tag tags as well.

> The plans you are talking about concern tagpack or a TYPO3 sysext?

The plans for a sysext have always been there but no one took the chance to
make it happen yet.
So currently we are talking about tagpack scratching the famous "personal
itch", which might become an "official itch" in the future ;-)

Since tagging can be the base for simple category trees or more complex
taxonomies, as well as the base for even more complex ontologies, which
again might be the base for a semantic web, IMHO the tagpack is a good thing
to start with.

> Joining forces is always better than doing something twice seperatly.
> Let's see what we can do together. The aim here is to get something
> that works at page level and doesn't require additional plugins to
> display data. This way tt_news does what it does, only with a limited
> set of articles (cut by categories).

You don't need additional plugins to display the tagged data, altough the
tagpack already offers a tagcloud plugin and a result list plugin. Since
almost any table can be made "taggable" with TS config, in many cases it's
just enough to add some SQL to the queries that are already in use by the
different output related plugins via TS or PHP.

But these are details we can discuss later at forge.

Cheers

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de