[TYPO3-dev] What is the purpose of sysexts?

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon May 25 16:37:34 CEST 2009

Hi Niels,

> While following the threads about adding some extensions as sysexts in
> the core and dev newsgroups I asked myself what the purpose of those
> sysexts is.
>
> I'm aware between the differences of local, global and system extensions
> but while following the discussions mentioned above I asked myself
> whether there is a definition of the purpose of sysexts.

An extension qualifies as a system extension if it is used by at least
80% of all installations.

Most parts of this selection were made during TYPO3 4.0 development, but
I think it is still accurate for current verions.

The only exception in this row is the adodb/dbal couple. The reason for
including them as system extensions was that it is not easily possible
to install TYPO3 on e.g. MSSQL without taking a MySQL database at help
(extension manager depends on a database, otherwise it could not fetch
the "dbal" extension...).

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out