[TYPO3-dev] What is the purpose of sysexts?

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Wed May 20 10:51:02 CEST 2009

Hi Franz,

> My intention was not to have them work like the "reviewed" extensions -
> they simply should not be bundled with the core and get dynamically
> fetched from TER via the installTool in first place (later maybe also
> via EM). At least stuff like fe_editing and not that frequently used
> sysexts like dbal, adodb etc. could be "outsourced". Fe_editing, because
> there will be two different approaches available soon (once Jeff's AJAX
> version is ready) - that way you can decide during installation which
> one to use and download.
>
> It's just an idea - nothing more.

I would really like some kind of process in install tool (either
full-fledge or 1-2-3) allowing me to search for extensions to be
included. Better would be (as already discussed many times) to be able
to choose kind of a package/bundle/... to be fetched and installed.
Something like "I want to blog" => tt_news, ... "I want a corporate
site" => choose among bundle 1 "realurl + templavoila + ...", bundle 2
"cooluri + ...", ...

IIRC WEC starter kit has already something like that.

--
Xavier Perseguers
DBAL-Member

http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en/tutorials/typo3.html