[TYPO3-dev] What is the purpose of sysexts?

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Wed May 20 10:36:03 CEST 2009

Hi Xavier,

>> Although I understand the philosophy behind I don't know if it's a
>> good idea to bundle those extensions with the core and make the
>> overall package harder to maintain. Some TER-flag "core
>> certified/maintained" or something would also be ok in my eyes. And
>> once the installer might be able to load certain distribution
>> packages, it could also automatically fetch some "core  certified"
>> extensions on demand.
>
> We all know the story of "reviewed" extensions. This simply does not
> work because it requires a huge investment of time...

My intention was not to have them work like the "reviewed" extensions -
they simply should not be bundled with the core and get dynamically
fetched from TER via the installTool in first place (later maybe also
via EM). At least stuff like fe_editing and not that frequently used
sysexts like dbal, adodb etc. could be "outsourced". Fe_editing, because
there will be two different approaches available soon (once Jeff's AJAX
version is ready) - that way you can decide during installation which
one to use and download.

It's just an idea - nothing more.
--
kind regards,