[TYPO3-dev] Versioning module

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Sat Mar 28 15:07:44 CET 2009

Steffen Kamper schrieb:>
> full ack.
> But some steps before has to be done imho:
> The versioning sysext should be a GUI only. All the functionality on
> version records should go to a new class like
> t3lib_versioning

AFAIK sysext/version IS as GUI-only extension.

> At the moment most of the used functions are in t3lib_BEfunc which is
> very untransparent, as this class is a mixture of functionality same
> like t3lib_div.

Right.

> Next step a t3lib_workspaces could extend t3lib_versioning and add
> functionality there.
>
> Next step tcemain should use these files.

If it makes sense! No need to force it. TCEmain has many intricacies and
I see no real reason to move the WS code out of TCEmain when the code is
not used/needed in other parts of TYPO3.

> This would be the best to get transparency into the whole thing, which
> isn't the case now, and which makes it really difficult to understand
> the big picture behind versions and workspaces.

Ok, this could be a reason. And maybe it helps to create custom
versioning/workspaces extensions for some sites.

> As last step a new sysext workspaces could get the GUI for workspace
> handling. Doing this before would complicate the whole process.

I wouldn't couple the rewriting of TCEmain with the workspace GUI.
Actually I would do everything before trying to dissect TCEmain ;)

Masi