[TYPO3-dev] Characters are badly encoded in form validation JavaScript

Francois Suter fsuter at cobweb.ch
Fri Mar 27 11:54:48 CET 2009

Hi all,

The problem mentioned in the subject has been reported at least 6 times
to the bug tracker ([1]-[6]). The issue happens in TYPO3's mail form.
Take a site encoded in UTF-8 and create a field with a name such as
"Prénom" or "Übergeek". If that field fails validation (for whatever
reason, e.g. it is required and you left it empty) you will get a JS
alert window with the special characters misinterpreted, because JS
chokes on UTF-8.

Based on some suggestions in [1] I have made a patch which fixes the
issue, but it converts field names explicitly to iso-8859-1 and I
suspect this will not work for non-latin based languages. So I'm not
sure the decoding can really be done server-side. But is there any
solution client-side?

I would be glad to have this discussion and not dispersed among zillions
of bug reports. Hopefully it will help find a solution.

For information I have attached my patch (against trunk), but I really
don't think it's a solution.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter