[TYPO3-dev] Javascript Minify-Manager

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Mar 9 13:51:02 CET 2009

Hi!

Christopher Lörken wrote:
> firstly, I think developers are in fact lazy but the larger problem I
> see is, that everything that one does manually:
>
> - tends to be forgotten
> - costs time
> - is extremely error-prone

I have a simple answer for the core: all minification can be performed by packaging scripts.

> It might be bad practice for an agency developing well-tested extensions
> for their customers, but some sites, as ours, have very active
> development going on that might result in various changes of the JS over
>  an extended period.
>
> If it is a one time setup one might be willing to compress the code by
> hand... If it is ongoing development that is really annoying.

Do not use compressed scripts in development ;) It is better to use uncompressed scripts during developmenty because it simplifies error detection. For example, if MSIE or FireBug tell me that error is on line 3, character 10245 of the compressed script, it is not of much use :)

> Oh and I like your blog as well :)

Thank you ;)

--
Dmitry Dulepov