[TYPO3-dev] Javascript Minify-Manager

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Thu Mar 5 12:44:26 CET 2009

Hi!

Sebastian Gebhard wrote:
> Here's my suggestion:
>
> Why not registering all needed Javascript on a central place while page
> rendering and then create a single file with all needed javascript which
> is minified (using the already existing JSMin).
> Sounds like a lot of PHP processing? We could use the same concept we
> use for thumbnail images.
> Let's say a page needs script.js, library.js and "window.onload =
> alert('hi!');"

Firsts, minification feature is already implemented in TYPO3 4.2. Secondly, there is an extension that can minify/combine JS and CSS files together.

The drawback of such things is that they happen at runtime, thus making the performance of the server worse. Minification of the JavaScript using PHP is extremely inefficient. When possible it should be done separately before deploying the site.

Also see my today's article:
http://dmitry-dulepov.com/article/cheap-ways-to-increase-performance-of-a-typo3-web-site.html

--
Dmitry Dulepov