[TYPO3-dev] Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sat Jun 27 15:47:09 CEST 2009

Hi Ben,

> A carte blanche attitude that no performance improvements can be
> incorporated in a minor release, unless they are related to a specific bug,
> is not overly helpful when there have been (and still are) some real issues
> with the speed at which TYPO3 sometimes operates under conditions of heavy
> load.

I agree that we should decide from case to case. In this very case I can
still understand the reasons for not applying the patch even though Rupi
did a (as it seems) thorough investigation.

However, if you have problems with high load then this patch is
definitely of little help, because it only will affect non-cached pages.
So if you have a performance problem with your website then better start
improving the caching rather than make non-cached pages faster. The gain
is always higher than with this change.

> We wouldn't expect *all* patches to be incorporated, but those that have
> been rigorously analysed such as Rupert's should at least be given
> consideration. As members of the community we trust your judgement as
> release manager, and will support you if you decide patches are not worthy
> of inclusion, but it would be preferable if these decisions could be made
> on the basis of individual merit rather than a blanket ban.

I agree, and I know that Ingo does so too.

> ps. I notice that Bug Days now also have a physical location - if anyone
> would like to make use of our London offices (while sterling is still
> relatively weak against the Euro!) for a future bug day and introduction to
> the joys of British beer, then we would be ready, willing and able to host
> such an event.

That is a great idea! I would be happy to combine such a meeting with a
weekend visit in London.

Please contact Ingo (he's organizing the bug days) if you like to get
your spot advertised for one of the next rounds (and make sure that I
won't miss it...! :-))

Regards, Michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out