[TYPO3-dev] Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

Ben Wardle info-nospam at netefficiency.co.uk
Fri Jun 26 02:10:43 CEST 2009

Hi Ingo and co,

Ingo Renner wrote:
> Ingmar Schlecht wrote:
>> I also see the point regarding stability, but I don't think you have to
>> let all similar patches through then
> of course not, but I'd still like to treat everyone equally...
> Ingo

I totally agree that there shouldn't be preferential treatment for certain
individuals, however I think that a degree of discretion could be exercised
in these matters.

A carte blanche attitude that no performance improvements can be
incorporated in a minor release, unless they are related to a specific bug,
is not overly helpful when there have been (and still are) some real issues
with the speed at which TYPO3 sometimes operates under conditions of heavy
load.

We wouldn't expect *all* patches to be incorporated, but those that have
been rigorously analysed such as Rupert's should at least be given
consideration. As members of the community we trust your judgement as
release manager, and will support you if you decide patches are not worthy
of inclusion, but it would be preferable if these decisions could be made
on the basis of individual merit rather than a blanket ban.

All the best, and many thanks for all your work,

Ben.

ps. I notice that Bug Days now also have a physical location - if anyone
would like to make use of our London offices (while sterling is still
relatively weak against the Euro!) for a future bug day and introduction to
the joys of British beer, then we would be ready, willing and able to host
such an event.

Net Efficiency Ltd
London based web development, design and consultancy for non-profits and
business.
www.netefficiency.co.uk