[TYPO3-dev] Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Thu Jun 25 19:41:49 CEST 2009

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Renner wrote:
> Honestly even I would like to have it personally. But being the release
> manager/maintainer brings more responsibility with it than just thinking
> about one owns preferences. As Michael already mentioned, and I agree
> with him in that point, there are other people out there, customers and
> users, who are hugely underrepresented in this list. We as the release
> managers and in the end responsible guys have to make sure that a stable
> system is released and also that some important principles of software
> development are adhered to.
>
> On the other hand I would like to treat everyone the same, now if I let
> Rupis patch through I also  have to let other performance improvements
> through. Now with Rupis patch it might be easy as I had a look at it and
> I regard it harmless, but now if I let it through I might have to let
> other patches through concerning performance improvements which are less
> harmless.
>
> You see the points? It's not always as simple as it looks in the first
> place and many considerations need to be made.

I also see the point regarding stability, but I don't think you have to
let all similar patches through then. We can still make it a requirement
that non-bugfix patches like performance improvements have to be very
carefully analysed for possible side effects and it will still have to
be approved by the release manager.

Therefore, I don't find that letting this one pass would automatically
require other ones to pass, too.

cheers
Ingmar