[TYPO3-dev] Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Thu Jun 25 18:30:44 CEST 2009

Hi Ingo,

> On the other hand I would like to treat everyone the same, now if I let
> Rupis patch through I also  have to let other performance improvements
> through. Now with Rupis patch it might be easy as I had a look at it and
> I regard it harmless, but now if I let it through I might have to let
> other patches through concerning performance improvements which are less
> harmless.
>
> You see the points? It's not always as simple as it looks in the first
> place and many considerations need to be made.

I totally understand your point, but I don't think that you have to
treat all performance improvements the same way if you let this patch
pass through. Simply define a rule for "in doubt improvement patches"
and you should be fine.

I can't remember who wrote it in this or the core-list topic - but I can
agree with the statement that "small and easy to trace and understand"
patches could be allowed to make it into maintainance releases where the
final decision is of course still by the release manager.
I think that everyone agrees that patch monsters should never make it
into a maintainance release (unless they are well tested and fix a
really important bug). But the patch from Rupi, that is really not
complicated and that well prepared and tested by him should at least get
considered to be committed. I don't think that any provider would vote
strictly against it, as those also benefit from the reduced server load.

--
kind regards,
Franz Koch