[TYPO3-dev] Are performance improvements part of maintaince releases?

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Wed Jun 24 12:50:56 CEST 2009

Michael Stucki schrieb:
> I'm sorry if it looks like this, I tried to express my reasons. I'm open
> for dialogue as long as it brings us forward or helps to understand each
> others view. However, this also requires that you understand that many
> users do not care about performance as their site performs quite well.
> So why should we take this risk?

Thorough testing implied... yes.
But that means more workload.

> I'm really not emotional about this topic, dont'y worry. I just think
> that there is an important target group whose interest must be defended,
> as it seems most of you ignore them completely.

I second that.
I guess the problem in this discussion is that we have two "sides" here.

a) the folks maintaining the stable branch who don't want more work on
their shoulders (which I totally understand)

b) the folks that are deeper into TYPO3 and don't want some sort of
microsoft way of doing things... namely deploying software that really
works after 2 service packs.

To be more on the original topic:
What would be REALLY helpful would be more clear information on WHAT
scenario broke Rupi's performance patch.

"I remember some scenario where..." does not really help.
Plus: This scenario could as well exist in 4.3 so the problem is only
postponed (which can't be the way).

So the basic question is:
Are performance tweeks worth the hassle?
Being one of group B I say yes.
The final decision is up to the release manager and we have a clear
statement for the 4.2 branch on that one.

Question is if there is any doable way of implementing tests for this to
reduce the workload on the stable branch.

Does this somewhat foster the discussion? :)

--
TYPO3 certified interogator
T3DD09 Entertainer