[TYPO3-dev] Removing "enable extension without reviews" checkbox

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Fri Jun 19 14:11:05 CEST 2009

>> The checkbox is something like the famous "I Agree" button, but if
>> it will be there it has to be actively clicked by the user, to make
>> sure he was informed about the risk. Otherwise users might try to
>> file a law suit against the T3A, because the box was activated
>> without their knwoledge, which would be bad anyway regardless of its
>> outcome
>
> a) This would be against the GPL at
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html#SEC2
> "Also, for each author's protection and ours, we want to make certain
> that everyone understands that there is no warranty for this free
> software!"
>
> b) The checkbox is only for 'security reviews'. It does not stand for
> a proof for a working extension without any severe bugs.

The problem is not IF people who are filing law suits against the T3A will
WIN these in the end or if they are right at all.
The problem is that every law suit will cost both parties lots of money they
will have to pay in advance. Usually the party that wins, will get back the
money later on, but maybe this party will never be able to win, because it
will be bancrupt long before this decision.

So we have to do anything we can to avoid such a law suit. In this case it
means: Stating it clearly in a prominent place, that you have to check this
checkbox and therefor accept to download extensions that might be insecure
at your own risk. In this case chances are good that the law suit will be
ended with a dismissal of action or something similar.

HTH

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de