[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3-core] RFC #11016: Implement RSA authentication for BE and FE

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 19:30:50 CEST 2009

Hi!

Benjamin Mack wrote:
> OK. Will it ever be deprecated or should we keep the empty function
> forever?

I see no problem with the empty functions :) Do you?

>> 2. Removing that line breaks XCLASSes that can reply on this
>> function.
> Correct, because if somebody XCLASSes the class, this person should know
> what he's doing... It's all in the authority of the ext developer when
> he does XCLASSes. Additionally, this file is not exactly the one class
> where I know that there are many XCLASSes.

We always preserve compatibility. If we introduced a feature or a method, we do not remove it like this. Deprecate it and remove after two versions — this is our rule :) I have no problem if it is removed later but I have a problem if it is removed suddenly like this.

> For example: The DAM XCLASSes t3lib_extfilefunc. This means that after
> RFC #5203 (which was 7 months ago) the DAM is not working anymore with
> trunk, because it's such a mess with the XCLASSes and it's not that easy
> to add this functionality. Although DAM is one of the more popular
> extensions, nobody from the devs cared about it when commiting. This

I do not know their policy but in the core we do not remove functions without announcement. Removing a call to that function is equivalent to removing the function.

> Well, for how long should we keep "obsolete" functions in the Core? Will
> there be 80% of empty functions in TYPO3 4.7? Will there still be calls
> to empty functions all the time, for the sake of backwards-compatibility
> of possible XCLASSes?

See above. This function can go away in 4.5.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
In the TYPO3 blog: http://dmitry-dulepov.com/article/macintosh-vs-hackintosh.html