[TYPO3-dev] pages of type "shortcut" in TMENU not having proper item states?

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Mon Jun 1 17:29:29 CEST 2009

> also be active (CUR) as it's refering URL is the currently displayed
> URL.
> Not indicating a active shortcut is bad usability for visitors IMOH.
> It's also bad practice, as it's recommended that a page shouldn't link
> to itself AFAIK (I guess it was SEO or accessibility related).

If this is the current behaviour, then this is definitely a bug but not for
the reasons you mentioned.

A shortcut should IMHO _never_ show it's own URL but always the URL it has
been pointing to.
If (like in your example) page 4 is a shortcut to page 3, then the URL
should clearly state that and show http://blah.tld/index.php?id=3 - even the
link itself should be the same. Meaning: No redirect after clicking on the
link but a rewrite of the link before it is delivered to the browser. This
way you wouldn't even get the dreaded "double content".

According to that behaviour, all item states should be exactly the same the
user would have expected to be shown when directly clicking on the menulink
of the target page itself. After all page 4 is just a _shortcut_ and thus
can't be ACTive or CURrent by definition and IMHO the user should be
informed about that behaviour.

So the item states are already fine but the URL is not.

Just my 2 cents

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bunnyfield