[TYPO3-dev] Discuss - RFC #11474: Store separate extlist for the frontend

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Mon Jul 20 08:55:45 CEST 2009

Oliver Klee schrieb:
> 1. Yesterday, one of my customers complained about a CLI script (not a
> cron job) taking too long. (Okay, that was a run-once importer script
> that read thousands of files, but still.) :-)

And you think the amount of RAM taken by those cached files matters in
this case?
We're talking about ms here.

> 2. Running the CLI script will take away performance from the system,
> e.g. it will make the web server respond slower.

Agreed - but still a very theoretical approach, because CLI jobs aren't
the main purpose of the CMS and would not behave any different from the
current situation.
And if your CLI jobs run your server into trouble (or you run 30 CLIs in
parallel you have WAY other problems.

> As far as I understand it, having this "mode switch" for extensions will
> allow us to also have the mode "CLI" in it without much work. So I'd
> prefer to go the way completely. :-)

But still I state that "over-conceptioning" is the wrong way to go since
it does improve nothing at all (because nothing gets patched, instead a
theoretical discussion rises up).

Plus:
Think about this:

Our way:
- Check if flag is true
- write file

Your way:
- Check if value exists
- trimExplode
- Write files

And exactely this is what Rupi, Joey, Stucki and me are cleaning up:
Overhead generated by unneccessary stuff.
Now we introduce a way to get rid of one thing, others introduce new
overhead - pretty frustrating.

Furthermore I don't care at all about a faster backend (plus the point
to have extensions running ONLY in FE is nonsense in 99% of all use-cases).

Bottomline:
- Faster BE won't work out
- Faster CLI is theoretical (of did you benchmark something?)
- Faster FE is a fact
- An 80% working thing in trunk has more value than the 120% solution in
our heads.

So my official request would be:
Get this thing two +1s so we can just commit it - come up of a more
colorful way some time later.

thanks for listening.
Mathias

--