[TYPO3-dev] Static tables missing countries

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Thu Jul 16 16:02:49 CEST 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 4:47 AM, Francois Suter wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> it appears that Static Table Countries are missing the following
>> countries:  England, Scotland, Wales and NOrthern Ireland
>>
>> I did got some 'funny' comments from my client about that :D
>>
>> Anybody what to shed a light on this???
>
> Well, it's kind a tricky. There are not really countries. They are
> part
> of the United Kingdom. They have some indepedence, like local
> parliaments and such, but they don't have their passports or their own
> army, for example. In some sport events, they also appear as countries
> (like in soccer and rugby).
>
> But strictly speaking they are not countries, as can be checked in the
> list of country ISO codes:
>
> http://www.iso.org/iso/english_country_names_and_code_elements
>
> No Scotland or Wales there... so it wouldn't even be possible to fill
> the static_countries table properly.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
>
> Francois Suter

hey Francois,

thanks for responding...

wikipedia states  : "The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy
and unitary state consisting of four countries: England, Northern
Ireland, Scotland and Wales.[18]"

That sentence states 4 countries...

Now I realize that it is kinda tricky, in this case but I see it like
this:

The table static_countries should list countries, not sovereign states
(it has United Kingdom listed), unless for convenience reasons this is
marked so in the static_countries table.
So somehow I would expect the 4 countries to be listed in the table
static_countries.

1) The funny thing is that Nederlandse Antillen is mentioned as a
country, while it fact it still belongs to holland (also according to
WikiePedia) This let me to believe that the table static_countries is
inconsistent
2) Green is also listed in static_countrys, but officially belongs to
Denmark (According to wikipedia it's a country).

Wikipedia also states : "Some entities which constitute cohesive
geographical entities, and which were formerly sovereign states are
commonly regarded and referred to still as countries. England,
Scotland, and Wales which form Great Britain are examples of entities
that, while not being countries in the true technical sense are
customarily referred to as such. "
"In common usage, the term country is used in the sense of both
nations and states, with definitions varying. In some cases it is used
to refer both to states and to other political entities,[1][2][3]
while in some occasions it refers only to states[4] It is not uncommon
for general information or statistical publications to adopt the wider
definition for purposes such as illustration and comparison.[5][6][7]
[8][9]"

So it might make sense to add Enland, Northern Ireland, Scotland and
Wales as countries in the static countries table, because people often
refere to them as countries, much like Greneland is used as a country
and others.

In my case some object is in some country, and I cannot divide England
from Scotland

Ries
PS: I am not saying that wikipedia is right!!