[TYPO3-dev] Best technique for a BE-form onchange

Benjamin Mack benni at typo3.org
Fri Feb 27 11:35:50 CET 2009

Hey,

I like to have an AJAX-able update field, here's what I think:

* We need to be aware of some constraints when reloading a single field,
where we one the one hand have conditions on types (like page types and
CTypes in tt_content), and that other fields could rely on that.

* We sometimes have multiple forms on a single page, we have different
things that get initialized when a page loads.

* We need to make sure that extensions that expand a table can trigger a
reload of an existing field of a form. We should be very flexible.

My goal was that we first finish the move to the object-oriented
TCEforms (I think Andreas Wolf could need a lot of help here, still),
and then that we then expand the TCA to have something like an extended
"onChange" that is used to make a JS call. We do an inclusion of JS
similar to the ext_tables.php we do for each table and that way, one
could write specific handlers for each fields. We could have some
predefined functions to reload only one form, one field, and take the
already existing "conditions" syntax of other fields into account.

What do you think?

Nevertheless I would really love to go with some teamwork here :) Thanks
for sharing your ideas.

All the best,
Benni.