[TYPO3-dev] Best technique for a BE-form onchange

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4many.net
Thu Feb 26 23:09:46 CET 2009

I would like to ask for your input/advice.

What should be achived in a BE-form(TCA):
clicking an item in a select list adds a formated text to a textarea
depending on the selected item

1) Solution based on TCA capabilities (as far as I know):
Onchange event on the select list reloads complete form.
Cons:
JS confirmation has to be confirmed and takes time to relad -> limited
usability

2) Possibility to improve: just reload only the form
Using AJAX might offer a way to just reload the form and the complete
page/iframe. So far I haven't found a TYPO3 way to do that in BE. Did i
miss something?

3) Prefered solution: AJAX to update just the field
My prefered solution would be to add content to the textarea using AJAX
so TYPO3 could controll/format the text to be added, i.e.
controll/change/alter the onchange event.
Is there any technique already available in TYPO3 or any extension? Also
  here bookmarks welcome.

Thanks in advance for your enlightening input.

Peter.

--
Fiat lux!
Docendo discimus.