[TYPO3-dev] extJS library

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Fri Feb 6 17:43:10 CET 2009

Christopher Torgalson schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Martin Kutschker
> <masi-no at spam-typo3.org> wrote:
>> Thomas Allmer schrieb:
>>> If you don't like my approach or you don't care about progressive
>>> enhancement (I don't know who need it anyway? *hehe*) just ignore my posts.
>> IMHO we don't need progressive enhancement for the BE. The BE requires
>> JS anyway so we don't need any fallback. So I wouldn't use this concept
>> as it'll make the overall code bigger and more complicated.
>
> You miss the point. The BE requires js because it was not coded
> 'progressively' in the first place. As far as I can tell, there isn't
> anything in the BE that MUST be done on the client side. And as for
> making the BE bigger and more complex? I doubt that's even possible.
> The BE is an incredible mishmash of terrible markup, inline js and
> overly complex, inconsistent css. I have little doubt that the cleanup
> of html and js required to make the BE 'progressive' would pay for
> itself in ease of future maintenance alone.
>
> Besides: as long as the BE is the way it is, TYPO3 is categorically
> unable to compete in any circumstance where even a modicum of
> accessibility is required.

I agree, but I don't think it's worth to rewrite the complete BE of 4.x.
If you're interested in an accessible BE using the progressive
enhancement methodology then I direct you to the development of 5.x.
Nothing is settled yet, so any input is welcome. Probably a helping hand
won't be turned aside either.

Masi