[TYPO3-dev] License issues

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Thu Feb 5 17:33:20 CET 2009

Christian Welzel schrieb:
> Oliver Leitner schrieb:
>
>> the Problem is, that the extJS license Differs from the gpl, thats why
>> they call it open source license...
>
> It would be important to me as the TYPO3-debian-maintainer, that the
> TYPO3 core is free of software compontents with licenses that are not
> compatible with
> the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG).
> As Debian does not allow such software in its main repository, i would
> either
> have to remove these components from the core or i must request the
> removal of TYPO3
> from debian repository as a whole. I'm not sure if this would be in the
> interest of the
> TYPO3 community.
> So please stay with software thats licenses are listed as DFSG compatible.
> For a list of these licenses look at this page:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses

Debian packages of TYPO3 are never really up to date.
Especially not on stable releases... And there is no pragmatic way to
have several version on your server or automatically create several
instances... In fact it is unusable for productive envirements...
Only Beginners might profit as long as "apt-get install typo3" is enough
for a typo3 installations only fullfilling basic requirements...
So if typo3 is canceled from the package list, this won't be really
dramatic for anyone... But I think it would be moved to "non-free"
packages.
And in my opinion, everybody using Typo3.deb packgages from rep, will
have non-free enabled in any way :P

Just my opinion to that...

Steffen